Bright sun for Menendez Landing
By Raphael Cosme
Special to Historic City News
A big crowd attended the celebration of the September 8, 1565 landing of Pedro Menendez de Aviles at the Mission Nombre de Dios.
Today’s celebration added more Spaniards “conquistadores” re-enactors with Pedro Menendez de Aviles.
The cannon shot fired in the distance before Menendez stepped ashore on Matanzas Bay, by La Compania de Santiago, The Company of St. James, a member unit of Florida Living History.
The traditional Mass of Thanksgiving was celebrated by Bishop Felipe Estevez at the Mission Nombre de Dios, who at the end blessed the recently restored Menendez Headboard.
“The city of St Augustine has a sense of history; today’s event is a proof that after many centuries of diversity the Spanish roots are still solid in St Augustine,” affirmed Bishop Estevez.
A grand procession followed the mass with the carrying of the Menendez headboard to the Prince of Peace church, where Dr. Timothy J. Johnson, chair of the Department of Humanities at Flagler College, hosted a lecture of the founding of St. Augustine.
The Menendez headboard went through the wall of honor of the Knights of Columbus to its final place at the Mission Nombre de Dios Museum.
The United States flag salute was performed by 19 members of the St Augustine US Naval Sea Cadet Corps.
© 2012, St Augustine. All rights reserved.