Advertise with Historic City News

Final budget hearing postponed

September 19, 2012 | By | Comments More

Historic City News has learned that the final public hearing on the St Johns County Fiscal 2013 budget and millage originally scheduled for yesterday has been rescheduled for Tuesday September 25 at 5:30 p.m. in the St Johns County Auditorium.

The reason given for the cancellation was a reported conflict with the St Johns County School District budget meeting.

At the meeting next week, commissioners are expected to set next year’s property tax rate at last year’s level — 7.2566 mills and the budget as $566.8 million.

Once again, county representatives are heralding a reduced tax bill for most homeowners because of declining property values — the same claim that went out last year as the commission raised the millage rates assessed property owners.

The School District sees most of the ad valorem tax revenue — about 60% of the property taxes paid; the Board of County Commissioners and five constitutional officers operate their departments from the remaining 40%.

© 2012, HISTORIC CITY NEWS. All rights reserved.

Category: Government

historiccity facebook twitter linkedin