An enhancement project is scheduled to begin Monday, January 7 on SR-16 in St Johns County and Historic City News readers in the area will experience daytime and nighttime lane closures throughout construction, according to a report from the Florida Department of Transportation.
The improvements include resurfacing a 5-mile section from Green Acres Road, just east of I-95, to San Marco Avenue and adding a new sidewalk on both sides of the road from Toms Road, just west of I-95, to Kenton Morrison Road; a distance of 3.5 miles.
Along with resurfacing and new sidewalk construction, this project also includes:
• Adding left turn lanes onto Green Acres Road and Race Track Road
• Replacing and extending drainage pipes under driveways, side streets and sidewalk
• Repairing or replacing sections of driveway where the new sidewalk crosses
• Repairing damaged sidewalk not already included in the separate sidewalk project
• Adding handrail along sections of sidewalk
• Adding wheelchair accessible ramps on the new and existing sidewalks at side street intersections
Lane closures on weekdays between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m. or between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. are not allowed. In the section of SR-16 from Lewis Speedway to San Marco Avenue, no daytime lane closures are allowed due to the high traffic volume. Nighttime lane closures are scheduled in this section between 7:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Lane closures are to be coordinated between the resurfacing and sidewalk projects to allow for one lane in each direction to remain open during construction.
Hubbard Construction Company of Winter Park was contracted to complete construction by fall 2013 for $6.2 million.
Category: HistoricCity 9-1-1