The St Johns County Education Foundation reported to Historic City News that artwork created by nine local students has been selected by a panel of professional judges to hang with the PICASSO Art and Arena Exhibition at the St Augustine Visitor Center.
The students’ pieces, inspired by Pablo Picasso’s body of work, will be on display from February 25 to May 11, 2013.
“The best of the best were chosen to hang with the PICASSO Art and Arena exhibition,” explained Stacie Hernandez, the owner of Palencia Fine Arts Academy, where the semi-finals were held.
The winners in the elementary school category include:
• First place – Cody Nelson from Ketterlinus Elementary School
• Second place – River Miller from Cunningham Creek Elementary School
• Third place – Vashaun Jones who attends Crookshank Elementary School
The winners in the middle school category include:
• First place – Courtney Bodine of Switzerland Point Middle School
• Second place – Neha Manikal from Murray Middle School
• Third place – Gavin Napier from Murray Middle School
The winners in the high school category include:
• First place – Jordan Alexander from Bartram Trail High School
• Second place – Erica Krieger from Ponte Vedra High School
• Third place – Parul Marulendra from Creekside High School
The St Augustine Visitor Center is located at 10 West Castillo Drive and is open Sunday to Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday to Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Admission is free to view the student artwork. Admission for the PICASSO Art and Arena exhibition is $10 for adults; $8 for seniors; $5 for children ages 7 to 12; $20 for a family of four; and free for children ages 6 and younger, military in uniform, and Flagler College students with identification.
Hanging with Picasso is a part of Arts Alive, which was designed to give students and teachers in St Johns County a creative outlet while simultaneously raising funds for arts education in the county. Students selected to hang with Picasso will also win monetary prizes for themselves and their art teacher’s classroom. Bozard Ford is the proud sponsor of Arts Alive and Hanging with Picasso.
© 2013, HISTORIC CITY NEWS. All rights reserved.