Early voting has begun so it’s time candidates pare down the message to bare essentials and get it out there. Voters need to know where we stand — and frankly, IF we stand for anything beyond getting elected.
Before filing to run for St. Augustine City Commission, Seat 2, I did a lot of research and put together a web site with real issues and suggestions for getting them done. It was a first — it was thorough — and I was proud. But a friend I admire recently opined, “I have no confidence people will wade through the text.” Ouch! He went on to suggest a “bullet platform.” He had a great point and I conceded.
So I have distilled my 10-point agenda into an easy to read and digest format – a fast food version of the original 10-course feast. If this whets your appetite, maybe you’ll even read my web site, www.electdansullivan.com.
1. CITY MARKET DAY – vendors provide downtown shopping for residents and tourists.
2. SIDEWALK CAFES AND TABLES – hard to find a ‘European’ city without them.
3. CENTRALIZED CITY CALL CENTER – one call does it all.
4. CITY SHUTTLE – connect Business and Arts districts.
5. STATE & FEDERAL LEGISLATIVE ACCOUNTABILITY – our historic properties are a national trust, not just local attractions.
6. SMALL BUSINESS SUPPORT – ease up on web of regulations.
7. CULTURAL ARTS COMMITTEE – promote local arts scene to bolster the local economy.
8. CODE RELIEF – quaint neighborhoods and historic homes need consideration to meet today’s standards.
9. PROGRAMS TO END HOMELESSNESS – part of a county-wide challenge.
10. PRESERVE AND ENHANCE OUR TREE CANOPY – “Old Florida Growth” defines our city’s character.
Dan Sullivan, Candidate
St. Augustine City Commission, Seat 2