Dedication of Hamilton Upchurch Park


Members of the St. Augustine City Commission will lead a dedication ceremony to officially mark the opening of the city’s newest park, the Hamilton Upchurch Neighborhood Park.

The ceremony is set for Friday, April 24th at 9:00 a.m.

The public is invited to attend the brief ceremony at the park’s location at the intersection of Anastasia Blvd. and Red Cox Dr.

Upchurch Park’s family-friendly elements make it appealing to people of all ages. There is a picnic area, a fitness trail, playground equipment, nature overlook, and a beginner inline and skateboarding area.

The park was made possible through both public and private efforts to secure the necessary funding. On the public side, the State of Florida provided $200,000, St. Johns County contributed $100,000, and the City of St. Augustine contributed $70,000. On the private side, through the generosity of many people, the community matched the contribution of the city with an additional $70,000.

A reminder that in order to skate, parents of children under the age of 17 must sign a consent waiver which can be found under Forms and Applications on the city Web site at www. staugustinegovernment.com. Forms can also be picked up at the City Financial Services Center, 50 Bridge St. or the Surf Station at 1020 Anastaisa Blvd.

The park’s namesake, Hamilton Upchurch, was a native of St. Augustine who devoted his life to the community as a public servant and civic leader.

In 1951, Upchurch joined his father, Frank D. Upchurch, Sr., in the established firm of Upchurch and Melton. Upchurch later became an assistant state attorney and a St. Augustine city commissioner and mayor, before serving for a decade as a member of the Florida House of Representatives. Upchurch died in early January, 2008.

Comments