When the St. Augustine Historic Architectural Review Board holds its regular meeting on June 16th, one item on the agenda is a proposal to nominate the Constitution Monument as a National Historic Landmark.
The monument, which is located in the Plaza, is believed to be the only surviving original monument to the 1812 Spanish Constitution, and will be a focal point for the constitution bicentennial in 2012.
Paul Weaver, a member of the Historic Architectural Review Board as well as the Colonial St Augustine Foundation, has offered to prepare the necessary nomination papers, without charge, as his contribution to the city’s 450th anniversary.
Weaver is President of Historic Property Associates, Inc., and, according to the Colonial St Augustine Foundation website, is “one of Florida’s most knowledgeable practitioners” in historic rehabilitation plans.
The foundation began a program to restore monuments in and around the Plaza several years ago; focusing first on the Constitution Monument. It was restored in 2008.
Current National Historic Landmarks here include the Cathedral, Fort Mose Site, Gonzalez-Alvarez House, Hotel Ponce de Leon, Llambias House, and St. Augustine Town Plan Historic District.
Photo credits: © 2011 Historic City News contributed photograph by COSA