Early morning fire ruled accidental


Historic City News was notified that the early morning fire at the TPC Clubhouse located at 110 Championship Way in Ponte Vedra Beach has been ruled “accidental” according to an announcement from Fire Rescue Lieutenant Jeremy Robshaw.

Crews made access into the unoccupied building on the lower basement level at approximately 2:45 a.m. this morning then followed a visible trail of light smoke to a banquet storage room where water and smoke could be seen coming from under the door.

Firefighters made entry into the room with a charged hose line and found an activated fire sprinkler system, heavy smoke but no fire.

“It appears the fire started in a laundry bin,” Robshaw told reporters. “The activation of two fire protection sprinklers located in the storage room quickly extinguished any flame.”

Firefighters quickly removed the laundry bin from the building and began searching for any additional fire. The remaining smoke and water was evacuated from the facility.

Damages to the structure are very limited due to the nature of construction and the location of the fire. Fire damages were contained to the laundry cart.

Because of the sprinkler activation, some contents of the storage room did sustain water damage; however, the sprinkler system is being credited with the quick containment of the fire and initial estimates place total damages at about $15,000.

The accidental commercial structure fire resulted in no civilian or emergency personnel injuries.


Let us know what you think >>