Florida’s Chief Financial Officer, Jeff Atwater, announced to Historic City News that his office is holding the 2011 Florida Unclaimed Property auction on September 16th and 17th in Ponte Vedra Beach at the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort and Spa, 1000 PGA Tour Boulevard.
The auction is open to the public, subject to posted requirements, and everyone is invited to participate.
More than 34,000 items, with a total reserve value of more than $321,000 will be sold on Saturday, September 17th, beginning at 10:00 a.m. The public preview will be held on Friday, September 16th, from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Preview Date and Time: Friday, September 16, 2011, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
(Preview this day only – no preview on day of auction)
Auction Date and Time: Saturday, September 17, 2011, 10:00 AM Until Finished
(Registration will open at 8:00 AM)
Requirements: (See Terms of Auction for complete details)
• The auction is open to the public and there are no restrictions on who can register to bid
• Registration with the auctioneer (on-site) will be required to preview, inspect or bid on any item.
• Registration requires a refundable $100 cash deposit and valid driver’s license, providing full name and current address.
• Most debit cards are accepted for registration, for a fee. If purchases are made, the fee will be waived.
• Purchases can only be made with Certified Funds (Cash, Travelers checks, certified check, most bank debit cards).
• BUYER’S PREMIUM: There will be a ten percent (10%) Buyer’s Premium added to the final bid.
• Bids will begin at the “reserve price” listed in the catalog.
• Absentee bids may be placed through Fisher Auction Company at 954-942-0917 or www.fisherauction.com.
• No strollers, carts, stools, chairs, handbags, or other bags of any type, will be allowed in the preview area.
Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa
1000 PGA Tour Boulevard
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 32082
The Sawgrass Marriott offered a special room rate of $82.00, subject to availability. Reservations are required at 800-457-4653 or online at http://www.sawgrassmarriott.com Please mention ‘Florida Unclaimed Property Auction Group’ or group code FUPFUPA.
Number of Items/Lots: Approximately 480 lots consisting of an estimated 34,000 items.
Estimated Value of Auction: $321,000.00 (Reserve Prices)
Source of the Items for Sale: These items were sent to the State, pursuant to Florida’s Unclaimed Property law, from safe deposit boxes in banks and credit unions. If the owner of the safe deposit box fails to pay the rental fee, the financial institution will drill the box and remove its contents. If the owner cannot be located, the contents are sent to the Florida Department of Financial Services, Bureau of Unclaimed Property. The Bureau then uses various means to attempt to notify the owner of the unclaimed property, including media, Internet, and database searches.
Opening Bid Price (Reserve Price): The Department uses the services of an independent appraiser who identifies, describes and determines a reserve or minimum bid price for each item. The opening bid price is a minimum bid price and is not intended to reflect the fair market value or replacement value of the item(s). In most cases, items sell for much more than the opening bid price.
Catalog: Additional information, including a free, downloadable catalog, is available at www.FLTreasureHunt.org, and from Fisher Auction Company at www.fisherauction.com for a nominal fee. The catalog is an invaluable tool used at the auction; participants are encouraged to obtain a copy. The catalog can also be purchased at the auction preview at a cost of $5.00.
You can search for Unclaimed Property by visiting the official State website at www.fltreasurehunt.org
Photo credits: © 2011 Historic City News archive photograph