Kimberly Naccarato announced to Historic City News local reporters that Camachee Cove Yacht Harbor will host “National Marina Day” on Saturday, June 11th, from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., to benefit the Rodeheaver Boys Ranch in Palatka.
The non-profit event is designed to recognize the important recreational, environmental, and social contributions marinas make to thousands of waterfront communities all across the country.
Visitors will enjoy pirates invading the marina, kids carnival games, educational displays, boat displays, a homemade sailboat race, and the not to be missed blindfolded dinghy race, a dunk tank, and food provided by Kingfish Grill.
A Silent Auction will be held during the event and will include prizes ranging from a sunset sail provided by Sail Time Northeast Florida, a weekend stay at the Camachee Inn, and two round trip tickets on Southwest Airlines.
Camachee Cove Yacht Harbor is located at 3070 Harbor Drive in St. Augustine, at the base of the Vilano Bridge.
For more information on the event, or to participate in the homemade sailboat race, or the blind-folded dinghy race, please call Tom Huston at (904) 829-5676.
Rodeheaver Boys Ranch provides a wholesome home environment with religious, educational and vocational training for needy boys. There are many boys who, because of death, desertion, divorce, parental disability or dysfunctional home situation, have no home of their own. These boys are youngsters who, with your support and understanding, are given a second chance in life and an opportunity to build a strong foundation for the future.
The Ranch fulfilled a lifelong dream of Homer Rodeheaver. In 1950 he donated 790 acres of land, and established the Boys’ Ranch. It is located 12 miles south of Palatka, Florida on the historic St. Johns River. The setting is ideally suited for the training and development of growing boys. Homer Rodeheaver died in 1955. His dream continues to flourish through the accomplishments of the boys who grow into better men because of his foresight.
Photo credits: © 2011 Historic City News staff photographer