Hard to believe that Independence Day is right around the corner — but, it is; and the City of St Augustine Police Department has learned that at least one nearby fireworks display will not be held this year, likely pushing our already popular celebration along the bayfront to capacity.
According to an announcement from Public Information Office Mark Samson, Historic City News reporters learned that Jacksonville Beach has confirmed that they will not put on their traditional and well-attended fireworks program.
The St Augustine City Commission authorized the expenditure of $50,775 during the May14th meeting, as a consent agenda item, approving Fireworks by Santore, Inc., to provide execution of the display, all on-water staging and production of a custom-made choreography and soundtrack.
Detours and street Closures Wednesday, July 4, 2012
In effect from 8:30pm to 10:30pm.
• The Bridge of Lions is closed to all vehicular and boat traffic
• South Castillo Drive and Avenida Menendez north of the Bridge of Lions
• Cathedral Place from Avenida Menendez to St. George Street
• Orange Street from South Castillo Drive to US-1 EMERGENCY TRAFFIC ONLY
• King Street will be two-way traffic. From Cordova Street westbound there will be two lanes of traffic open to facilitate the exit from downtown after the fireworks. All traffic westbound on King Street after the fireworks will be directed south on Ponce de Leon Blvd or west on King Street
• King Street eastbound will turn north onto St. George Street, then west onto Cathedral Place (detour routed to Cordova Street to King Street
• Avenida Menendez northbound will turn west onto King Street
• San Marco Avenue southbound will turn west onto West Castillo Drive to Ponce De Leon Blvd. (U.S.1)
• West Castillo Drive eastbound will turn north onto San Marco Avenue
• Anastasia Blvd. westbound may not cross the Bridge of Lions
• There will be a left turn from Ponce de Leon Blvd (U.S. 1) onto SR 16, it’s is suggested that traffic use Lewis Speedway north of the city in order to west.
• Parking is available at the Historic Downtown Parking Facility at the Visitors Information Center. A Parking fee of $10.00 for all day is in effect
• All other public parking throughout the city is available at no charge on July 4
• There will be no access to or from the parking lot of the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument from 6:00pm to 11:00pm on July 4
• Parking will be limited near the Plaza to facilitate traffic detours in the evening