Historic City News readers are invited by the Tolomato Cemetery Preservation Association this Saturday for an educational and entertaining guided tour of the oldest extant planned cemetery in the State of Florida with burials starting during the First Spanish Period (1565-1763).
The Tolomato Cemetery, located at 16 Cordova Street in St Augustine, started life as an Indian mission village. It eventually became the parish cemetery for what is now the Cathedral Basilica of St Augustine.
“The historic cemetery closed to new burials in 1884; and, for decades, was closed to the public,” a spokesman for the Preservation Association told reporters. “These consecrated grounds hold the memories of remarkable individuals and moments in the history of St Augustine — and of the Catholic Church in Florida.”
Thanks to a group of volunteer docents, dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of the cemetery, the church now allows guided tours; limited to the 3rd Saturday of each month. Admission is free, but donations are encouraged.
Come visit the Tolomato Cemetery this Saturday, July 20. The cemetery will be open from 11:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.