Historic City News readers in St Augustine are cautioned to stay safe this holiday weekend and reminded to designate a sober driver by Florida Highway Patrol Troop G Public Affairs Officer, Sergeant Dylan L. Bryan.
The Fourth of July is known for cookouts, fireworks, and parades. It’s also equally well known for busy travel.
“AAA estimates that over 40 million people will be on the road during this long Independence Day weekend,” Bryan told local reporters. “Don’t let the celebration turn to tragedy by mixing alcohol and driving.”
The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles urges everyone to use caution and follow these driving safety tips this weekend:
- Designate a sober driver before the fun begins.
- Didn’t plan ahead? Call a taxi, a sober friend, or use public transportation to get home safely if you have been drinking.
- Always buckle up. A seatbelt is your vehicle’s most important safety feature.
- Do not let anyone who has been drinking get behind the wheel. Even one drink increases the risk of a crash while driving.
- Call *FHP (*347) if you see an impaired driver on the road.