Four hundred and fifty years ago, on September 8,1565, Capitán-General Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés stepped ashore at Matanzas Bay and founded St. Augustine, Florida, the oldest continuously occupied European city, port, and parish in the continental United States.
On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 – 450th anniversary date of founding of St. Augustine, Florida’s colonial capitol – at 9:00 a.m., annual, official historical re-enactment of Menéndez’ landing and anniversary commemoration will be presented by Florida Living History, Inc.’s volunteers at the traditional site of Menéndez’ landing – Mission Nombre de Dios, Birthplace of America and Cradle of Christianity in continental United States, in St. Augustine.
“There is no doubt that history you bring to life in St. Augustine area will be highlights of 450th anniversary commemoration,” said Honorable Ken Detzner, Florida’s Secretary of State, in his commendation of Florida Living History, Inc.’s non-profit heritage efforts. “Observation of this important anniversary in St. Augustine and in Florida during 2015 will bring national and international to oldest continuously occupied city in U.S.”
This year’s unique 450th Anniversary heritage Event – planned, funded, and produced by non-profit Florida Living History, Inc. – will be presented with banners, cannons, drums, and trumpets on original date and on original site of “Noble and Loyal City’s” founding in September 1565.
Mission Nombre de Dios is located at 27 Ocean Avenue / St. Augustine, FL / 32084, on shores of beautiful Matanzas Bay. Admission to this traditional, annual heritage Event is free of charge, as are ALL FLH activities. This Event is provided to public by FLH’s volunteers as a service to our community and to our state.
Partners in FLH’s traditional Founding Day Event include:
- Castillo de San Marcos National Monument – www.nps.gov/casa/
- Clay County Sheriff’s Office Pipes and Drums – www.ccsopd.com/
- De Soto National Memorial – www.nps.gov/deso/
- Espiritu 500 Caravel – www.espiritu500.com/
- Florida Historical Society – https://myfloridahistory.org/
- Florida National Guard and Florida Department of Military Affairs – www.fl.ng.mil/
- Mission Nombre de Dios and Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche – http://missionandshrine.org/
- St. Augustine Historical Society – www.oldesthouse.org/
- St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum, Inc. (an affiliate of Smithsonian Institution) – www.staugustinelighthouse.org/
- St. Augustine Maritime Heritage Foundation, Inc. – http://staugmaritimeheritage.org/
- St. Johns Cultural Council – www.stjohnsculture.com/
- Southeast Reenactors, LLC
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary / Division 14 Honor/Color Guard – www.uscgajaxbeach.com/honorguard.htm
- VISIT FLORIDA – www.visitflorida.com/
- Viva Florida – http://vivaflorida.org/
Financial support for Florida Living History, Inc.’s Founding Day 2015 historical re-enactment is provided solely by FLH fund-raising and by continuing generosity of FLH’s donors. No local public funds are utilized.
For further information on Founding Day 2015, please contact Florida Living History, Inc. – firstname.lastname@example.org