Historic City News has received the latest update on storm assessment and recovery activities following Hurricane Matthew. At this time, urban search and rescue is complete in all areas. St Johns County Damage Assessment Teams continue their initial assessments of structures in impacted areas.
On the first day of assessments, 314 impacted residential structures were identified. Teams are continuing to canvass the impacted areas of St. Johns County. St Johns County Public works reporting that damage assessment continues for county maintained infrastructure including roads, bridges, and buildings.
St. Johns County Road and Bridge crews are continuing road clearing operations throughout the County.
- All curfews have been lifted.
- Shands and Crescent Beach (SR-206) bridges remain closed.
- Bishop Estates Road and Wildwood Drive have been opened to local traffic.
- St Johns County residents in need of food and water can go to Allen D. Nease High School or Pedro Menendez High School to receive rations.
- Shelters are demobilizing and the remaining sheltered population is being transferred to Host Shelters.
- Porpoise Point Community has multiple road closures due to flooding related to storm surge. Using pumps on loan from St Johns River Water Management District, St Johns County Public Works is actively pumping surface water from storm surge that did not recede on Vilano Beach at Porpoise Point.
- St. Johns County is under a coastal flood warning for the St. Johns River.
- Please use caution when traveling along roadways, as many remain blocked by storm debris. Road and Bridge crews are working throughout the County to clear the debris from roadways.
- Wildwood Drive is open for local traffic only.
- St Augustine South Community has multiple road closures due to trees and downed power lines.
- St Augustine Shores community has multiple road closures due to trees and downed power lines.
- St Augustine Beach, Menendez Park Subdivision has multiple road closures due to trees and downed power lines.
- Treasure Beach Community has multiple road closures due to trees and downed power lines.
- Weff Road subdivision has multiple road closures due to trees downed.
- Hastings, East St Johns is flooded.
- Salvation Army – Mobile feeding in impacted areas.
- Red Cross – Two Emergency Response Vehicles roving in impacted areas, distributing Comfort Kits, Clean-up Kits, and Water.
- Structural Damage Concerns? Please call St Johns County Building Services Hotline at 904-827-6800
- Damage assessment guidebook
Curbside Collection of Storm Debris:
- Debris contractors will begin collecting storm-related debris throughout St Johns County on Monday October, 10.
- Storm Debris must be piled at the curb.
- Do not bag, barrel, or mix with household waste.
- Debris contractors will make multiple passes until clean-up is complete.
Post Hurricane Trash and Recycling Schedule:
- Garbage collection resumes on Monday October, 10
Missed Trash and Recycling Collections:
- Missed 10/6 or 10/7 rescheduled to Monday 10/10
- Pickups Scheduled for 10/10 and 10/11 will have pickup on 10/11
- Recycling collection resumes on 10/12. There will be no make-up collections for missed recycling.
Today’s Weather: Sunny, with a high near 81. North wind 11 to 13 mph.
Tomorrow’s Weather: Partly sunny, with a high near 75. Breezy, with a northeast wind 9 to 15 mph.