Property damages should be reported to insurer

Communications Specialist Sarah Hand wants Historic City News readers to know that the Emergency Management Division does not need to know about property damages sustained during Hurricane Matthew.

If you have private insurance, you should call your insurance provider to report your loss. FEMA reported that they do not yet have authorization to process applications for uninsured property losses by individual residents.

If hurricane damage has reduced the value of your taxable property, Hand says you should also contact the St. Johns County Property Appraiser’s Office at for assistance in obtaining any available adjustment.

Share your thoughts with our readers >>