Flagler County Sheriff’s Director James Troiano cautioned Historic City News readers that 52-related car burglaries occurred overnight and early Thursday morning at four locations in Flagler County.
In all of the cases, the suspects smashed a window on each vehicle and made entry, according to Troiano. Many items were stolen; of those items, two were handguns.
“These crimes are consistent with ones committed in Flagler County on January 22nd where 18 vehicles were burglarized at two area hotels,” Troiano told local reporters. “Deputies believe the burglaries are related and part of a larger trend where suspects travel to an area and target vehicles by smashing windows or cars close to one another and taking valuables and fleeing the area.”
The recent locations are as follows:
- Hilton Garden Inn located at 55 Town Center Boulevard.
- Fairfield Inn located at 400 Old Kings Road.
- Holiday Inn Express located at 200 Flagler Plaza Drive.
- Hammock Beach Resort located at 200 Ocean Crest Drive.
This is a crime of opportunity in almost every case. Deputies remind everyone that there are steps you can take to lessen your chances of becoming a victim:
- Take a few extra minutes to ensure your vehicle is locked and alarm is activated, if installed.
- Don’t leave anything valuable in your vehicle. If you have to store valuables in your vehicle, lock them in the trunk completely out of sight.
- Park in a well-lighted area close to the front of businesses where more people are likely to see if something suspicious occurs.
Surveillance video obtained during the investigation has been placed on the sheriff’s Facebook page located at facebook.com/flaglercounty.sheriffsoffice
The video shows a dark colored sedan enter the hotel parking lot and several suspects exit and begin breaking into vehicles. Detectives are still in the process of obtaining surveillance video from other locations.
“If you see something, say something,” Troiano said. “Report suspicious activity immediately to 911.”
Anyone with information concerning these crimes, or any crime in Flagler County, is asked to contact Detective Joe Barile at 386-313-4911. Callers can remain anonymous by contacting Crime Stoppers of Northeast Florida at 1-888-277-8477 (TIPS). Callers are eligible to receive a reward of up to $1,000.