The Pet Friendly Shelter program is a collaborative effort between St. Johns County Department of Emergency Management, St. Johns County Division of Animal Care and Control, and St. Johns County School Board.
It is the mission of the Pet Friendly Shelter Program to establish a refuge of last resort to provide a measure of safety for domestic household pets and their owners during catastrophic disasters.
St. Johns County has established two Pet Friendly Shelters for emergency situations that require citizens to evacuate their homes. The following shelters will be the ONLY shelters that will accept you and your pet during an evacuation. Please listen to television and radio when an evacuation is ordered to determine which shelters are open because all shelters may not be open.
South Woods Elementary School
4750 State Road 206 West
Elkton, FL 32033
Timberlin Creek Elementary School
555 Pine Tree Lane
St. Augustine, FL 32092
Pets brought to the Pet Friendly Shelter are required to have the following:
- A carrier large enough for the animal to be comfortably placed
- Proper ID Collar with a rabies tag or proof of vaccination
- Water and food bowls
- Food supplies (at least 3 days)
- Pet medications if necessary
BASIC RULES FOR PETS:
- This is NOT a drop off for pets.
- You are required to stay with your pet at the shelter.
- Pets arriving at the shelter must be contained in a cage provided by the owner
- All pets must always stay in cage other than when being taken out for exercise
- Pet owners will be asked to fill out a registration card
- A photo will be taken of the pet owner and pet(s) before they will be admitted
- The pet owner is responsible for providing food and feeding their pet
- The pet owner is responsible for exercising, caring for and cleaning up after their pet
Acceptable animals at the Pet Friendly Shelter:
- Rabbits/Pocket Pet
Animals that are NOT permitted:
- Exotics (primates, snakes, reptiles)
- Farm/Agricultural Animals